Pages

December 13, 2011

Old Window Stocking Hanger


Pin It


Well, what do you think?!  I, personally, am smitten :)
We don't have a fireplace in our little apartment, so as soon as we started putting Christmas decorations up, I was charged emphatically by my children to find a place to hang the stockings.  As you can imagine, they were quite worried about it :)

Recently, I created this piece of art for our home from an old window that I found on the side of the road, and I have a few more old windows sitting in my basement now.  They are so charming, and so fun to work with, that I decided it would be GREAT to hang our stockings from one of the small ones. 


Here it is sans decoration.  I cleaned it off, and scraped off the bits of flaking paint, but it is in remarkable condition!


Plus, check out this little piece of hardware here that is part of the window... PERFECT for hanging a wreath!  I could have cried with happiness :)

I drilled 4 holes along the bottom, and attached some pretty drawer knobs.  I had to buy longer screws to accommodate the width of the window frame, but now I can switch them out any time if I want different colors or styles. 


And here it is, stockings all hung, next to the pillow covers I recently made.  I am in LOVE!

Another tidbit of random information - my mom cross stitched my stocking when I was little, and gave it to me when I moved out of the house...I cross stitched my husband's stocking a couple years ago to match mine...and I made the green stocking from an old shirt, using this idea here from Martha Stewart :)  Works for this year!
image signature



7 comments:

  1. I love the knobs. I have two of these windows sitting in my basement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great display! So rustic and old fashioned. Good work! I am a new follower visiting from Blue Cricket Design. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just visited via Blue Cricket too. This is such a great idea! You are so clever!

    Best Christmas wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so in love with this one. Where do you find these cute windows? I have wanted one for some time now, and i can never find them. I love your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to do this!!!I don't have an old window, but perhaps I can construct one somehow. Wish me luck! I love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete